Doctors Remove Grill Brush Bristle From Woman’s Intestine

Be sure the grill is clean and maybe think twice about using a popular cleaning tool if grilling this Memorial Day weekend.

Wallingford’s Cheryl Harrison was rushed to MidState Medical Center with extreme stomach pain two days after eating a burger. A CT scan showed there was a foreign object in her body. Harrison had to undergo emergency surgery and to remove a thin piece of metal from a grill brush, about an inch long, from her intestine.

“Obviously, if it was in my mouth and I bit it, I wouldn’t have swallowed it,” she said. “It must have been positioned in that burger just perfect, and I ingested it and swallowed it.”

RELATED STORY: Grill brush bristles can become loose on grill, eaten, requiring surgery

“In the case of some patients, when they arrive at the level of a small bowel, you have kind of a kink, a right angle, and it does not negotiate as well, and at that time it makes a hole in the intestine,” said Dr. Aziz Benbrahim.

Dr. Benbrahim says that hole can be life-threatening, and the incident could happen to anyone. This was not the first he had removed a similar object from a patient.

Fortunately for Harrison, the bristle was found early and the inflammation in her intestine was limited. Two weeks later, she is doing well.

The following two tabs change content below.

Purple Kendrixx

Co-Founder/Co-Owner at Tiger Hoods
The original co-founder of Tigerhoods, Purple Kendrixx is the acting editor and a daily writer to the site known since 2009 as the Urban TMZ. Kendrixx is a 2004 graduate of Virginia Tech.

Latest posts by Purple Kendrixx (see all)